Burundi PopulationPhoto: J. Bariyanga in the public domain
Burundi is home to 11.5 million people (2017) and has a population density of approximately 470 inhabitants per square kilometer.
- The natural population growth is 3.25%. (2017)
- Birth rate per 1000 inhabitants is 41.3 (2017)
- Mortality rate per 1000 inhabitants is 8.8 (2017)
- Life expectancy is 60.9 years. (men 59.2 and women 62.7 years (2017)
- Hutu (Bantu) 85%,
- Tutsi 14%,
- Twa (Pygmy strain) 1%,
- Others: small groups of Europeans and Asians
French language mapPhoto: Public domain
Kirundi and French are the official languages of Burundi. Since 2014, English has been added as an official language. Kirundi is the spoken language of the vast majority of the population. Furthermore, local languages are spoken and here and there some Swahili.
Bujumbura Cathedral BurundiPhoto: Public domain
Christianity is the dominant faith in Burundi. More than 80% of the population is Christian. Of these, about 2/3 are Roman Catholic, the rest are Protstant. There are also followers of Islam and indigenous religions. Freedom of religion is regulated by law.
CIA - World Factbook
BBC - Country Profiles
Copyright: Team The World of Info